ScreaminBob

Over the road truck driver, traveling the lower 48 and sharing my thoughts about it.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Just another rant

Haven't been on this blog in a while, been super busy. But seem to be having a bunch of time as of late.

Time would be nice if I were at home, but I'm a truck drive. So home time isn't that great.

  I took this current job because it's mostly local, making it possible to be home on the weekly basis.  but, I haven't been home in three weeks now. I'll be home tonight though. Just as soon as I get unloaded, I'll be headed 200 miles to pick up my next load. Then I'll take that load 70 miles to the house, spend Saturday at the house and roll out to Washington state Sunday morning. I'll have to be a little over 1300 miles at 0600 Tuesday morning to then assist on unloading.

This is really becoming a problem too. See, like the current load I'm on. I have twenty seven hours into this load so far. I drove 380 miles of which I'll only get paid 365 miles, being that I'm paid by the mile and not by the hour I'll make about $124 for the last 27 hours. Plus they haven't started to unload me yet. I probably won't get out of here till 1300 (1pm) which will bring me up to 30 hours into this run.

Okay. I admit. I still make more then a lot of people out there. But it could be better. I'm starting to look into a couple of other companies that have a lot more drop and hook work. That means that the customers that we service hold onto our trailers. So when you bring in a loaded trailer. You drop it and grab loaded one going somewhere else. Or more likely drop the loaded one and grab an empty one to go get another load somewhere else. A lot more efficient meaning I can actually be better paid for the hours that I work.

I enjoy being able to get home more often. But it's not very good if I can't afford to go home. So guess it's time for a change, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment